How is Social Enterprise defined?
You must meet the social enterprise definition according to Finding Australia's Social Enterprise Sector to be eligible for the Awards.
This defines social enterprise as an organisation that must:
- Be led by an economic, social, cultural, or environmental mission consistent with a public or community benefit
- Trade* to fulfil your mission (*Trade includes revenue from: membership, sponsorship, sales of products and services and income from competitively awarded contracts from government. Trade does not include: Grants, donations or loans).
- Derive a substantial* portion of your income from trade (*50% or more for ventures that are more than five years from startup or 25% or more for ventures that are less than five years from startup).
- Reinvest over 50% of your profit/surplus in the fulfilment of your mission
- Be incorporated and/or trading in Australia.
For more information on how social enterprises are defined visit www.socialtraders.com.au
What if I don't meet the definition of a social enterprise as outlined in the Finding Australia Social Enterprise Sector research?
If your organisation does not meet the definition of social enterprise as outlined in Finding Australia's Social Enterprise Sector, you will not be eligible to submit an Awards entry.
What if my social enterprise is part of a larger organisation?
Please submit information only for the social enterprise, not for the parent organisation.
Awards Application and Judging Process
How are the awards decided?
Entries are shortlisted by a dedicated panel for each award category. Shortlisted entries will then be judged by a panel of experts from a range of industries. The judges review the shortlisted candidates against the award category criteria to determine the winners.
How long will the judging process take?
Shortlisting and due diligence will be completed over September and October. Judging will then be completed in early November. Finalists will be announced in late October and the Awards will be presented to the winners at an event in late November.
What documentation is required for the award application?
To enter the Social Enterprise Awards, please ensure you have the following prepared:
- An overview of your social enterprise, your social mission and how you are delivering on your social mission
- Financials for your social enterprise including; Trading Income, Non trading income, Total Income, Profit/surplus/loss & Profit/surplus reinvested in the mission.
The application process will differ slightly for each category. Please read the information provided for each category to ensure you are applying for the right award. There is also an outline of the specific judging criteria and information you need to be able to demonstrate for each category.
Is there any cost for entering the awards?
Entry to the Awards is free.
Can we apply for more than one category?
You can apply for as many categories as you are eligible for but you will need to complete a separate application for each category you enter. Please use the same account for all applications.
When do applications close?
Applications close at 5pm Friday 2nd September. All applications must be submitted online. Postal entries will not be accepted.
If we won an award last year can we apply for the same award this year?
If you are a Social Enterprise Awards 2015 winner, you cannot enter the same award category in the following year. However you will still be able to enter any other award categories you may be eligible for